Berlin to Odessa Day 5: Wrocław

20 bucks if you can say the name of this city correctly. If you didn't didn't pronounce the W at the beginning, I get to keep my money. If you managed to contort your mouth into being able to make it over the first two letters to the vowel and then not trip over the second consonant jumble, I'll give you have. It's something like Vro-tslav.


Actually, I have come to the conclusion that the Polish language is like a terrible scrabble hand. If you were to draw a D-Z-R-J-W-Y-P, I think you could easily make 50 individual 7-letter words and crush your opponent. Although I'm sure in Polish scrabble these letters are worth 1 point each since they appear in some random order in almost every word. Hidden between mashed up consonants that somehow form syllables. Take "zrupne zienczsa" for example. This is my phonetic approximation for how people have told me to say "Will you take a picture of me?" Although Google translate is quick to point out that it is "zrboic zdjecie." I'm not saying I'm not trying, but it's a lot harder than simply adding -ski to any English word(ski).

We arrived at Ilona and Ewa's flat to the wild barking of their (I think) terrier, Lotke. But then we bonded over food. We have planned to spend two nights here due to the size of Wroclaw. Tonight (the night we arrived), our hosts took us near to the center of the city to check out a fountain light show. The huge brightly lit fountain is in front of a convention center, but provides a large open space to walk and sit. The show was very well choreographed and featured a lot of water jets, and flashing lights.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biking in November - Aegina, Greece

The Final Days in Managua - Saturday