Berlin to Odessa Day 1: Frankfurt (Oder) / Słubice

Made it last night to Frankfurt on the Oder. Although our hosts were actually on the other side of "The Bridge" which actually isn't a metaphorical bridge...it's actually in Poland. So we made it to Poland on Day 1!

We only got lost a couple times on the way. The conversation upon leaving Berlin went like:

Graham: "Do you have a map?"
Me: "No, do you?"
Graham: "No, but I have a compass on my wrist, and we just need to go east"

So we got here doing 95km in less than 5 hours!
Our extremely gracious hosts Dasha, Luba, and Svetlana snuck us into their dorm and cooked us a great post-biking Belorussian dinner of green beans and cheese. This morning they made us Serc Nazimno - a kind of apple cheescake served cold.

Also had my first Polish experience buying a map (successful) and my second buying postage stamps (not so successful). Actually, the lady at the post office spoke almost no German and absolutely no English. and I asked for postcard stamps and she said "Oh you want to send them to Slubice?" and I said "No, to Germany/Ausland/United States." To which she replied "No, we don't have any."
So I said, "But this is a post office...Postzca!!! Postzca!!" Until they gave me stamps.

The actual route:


Next stop: Zielona Gora

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biking in November - Aegina, Greece

The Final Days in Managua - Saturday