An Inauspicious Start

Canceled Flights



 My trusty bike, just waiting to be unpacked and ridden!

Although I was supposed to leave yesterday, both my original flight and my backup flight out of Denver were canceled due to “weather”. I spent the day in the airport wandering around, chatting with people and working out.

After I found out that you can get much faster customer service with American Airlines by calling a non-English number, I headed to a bar and sat between a man from Oklahoma who was being transferred to California to rehab his crack/meth addiction, and a woman heading to Breckenridge to meet up with 10 other friends for a couples ski weekend. Although she was neither part of a couple nor did she ski. Needless to say, we were a trio on very different trips.

I didn’t want to move around too much because I had to lug my bike around everywhere and couldn’t check it until the next morning. According to the scale at the ticket counter, the box weighs 62lbs.

Then I did a standard calisthenics workout - no equipment just push-ups, squats and core. I turned up my music so I tuned out any comments about this weirdo doing handstands in the middle of the airport. 

By this time, I was all sweaty and ready to get some dinner and watch some basketball. I went to a bar/restaurant located below the airport hotel and spoke with a flight attendant and a pilot about the tediousness of scheduling staffing for flights and was regaled by their stories of kicking unruly passengers off of flights (one woman couldn’t even wait until they had taxied from the gate to go to the lavatory and smoke).

After the bar closed I was a bit at loose ends and awkwardly guarded my bike and sat on an uncomfortable bench until I could lug it back to the terminal and check it in.

All in all, I would rate the Denver airport as solidly “not Belize” and am currently quite happy to be on my way.

Happy travels :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Days in Managua - Saturday

Biking in November - Aegina, Greece