Second, Lazier Day in Samarqand

 I slept in, determined to get some rest. I ate some baklava and cherries that I had purchased the day before and adjusted some things on my bike - pumped up the tires, lubed the chain, sorted some things in my bags. When I tried to use the washing machine in the apartment, it appeared to be broken. I thought that there might be some kind of trick to using it and I wrote the Airbnb owner. But no, it was broken. As I started to begrudgingly handwash my clothes (admittedly, it's only two outfits), he texted me that he would arrive soon with a brand new washer. So I waited around for that, he came with some handymen, removed the old washer and installed a new one on the spot, this was a bit of a step up from camping.

 

Looking through the bazar to Bibi Khanoum in the back

I put up my clothes to wash and went to the Siob bazar. This is a large open-air market in the center of Samarqand. It's a huge open market, with some traditional elements, delicious tried fruits and nuts and some fantastic silk clothing.

Looking down from the upper level of the Siob Bazar

I also went on one of my favorite vacation adventures and went to get a haircut. Sherzod had given me a recommendation for his barber, so I went to a neighborhood in Samarqand outside of the center to the barbershop. I had the usual difficulties explaining what I was looking for in Russian, but I think it all worked out in the end. He didn't want to charge me for the haircut, since it was his friend who had recommended me - he felt that he was hosting me and it wasn't appropriate to charge me. I disagreed, of course and managed to get him to accept some cash.

Me at the barbershop in Samarqand

I took it easy for the rest of the day and loaded up my bike for the morning, as I planned for another pre-dawn start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Days in Managua - Saturday

Stage 8: Tactic to Guatemala City